Donald Trump’s Immigration Reform Plan
Donald Trump has published his immigration reform plan that will make America great again. It makes good reading for any prospective voter.
Trump says that, “Real immigration reform puts the needs of working people first – not wealthy globetrotting donors. We are the only country in the world whose immigration system puts the needs of other nations ahead of our own. That must change.”
The Immigration Reform Plan is based on three core principles:
- A nation without borders is not a nation. There must be a wall across the southern border.
- A nation without laws is not a nation. Laws passed in accordance with our Constitutional system of government must be enforced.
- A nation that does not serve its own citizens is not a nation. Any immigration plan must improve jobs, wages and security for all Americans.
A Wall Along The Border
Donald Trump wants to build a wall across the southern American border AND he wants Mexico to pay for it. His argument is that for many years Mexico’s leaders have been taking advantage of the United States laxity on illegal immigration by exporting their crime and poverty problems to the US.
He says the Mexicans, “…have even published pamphlets on how to illegally immigrate to the United States.”
Trump highlights the fact that this has cost United States taxpayers hundreds of billions in healthcare, housing, education, welfare and many other expenses. He also says the, “effects on jobseekers have also been disastrous, and black Americans have been particularly harmed.”
Impact On Crime
The impact in terms of crime comes in for special mention. Trump says the consequences of allowing these illegal immigrants to enter the US has been “tragic” and quotes recent examples of “horrific crimes against Americans” to back up his case.
As you would expect Donald Trump does not pull his punches when attributing blame for these crimes. Using the words of the Santa Maria Police Chief he says “the “blood trail” leads straight to Washington.”
Mexico Must Pay
In his own unique style Trump says that “the Mexican government has taken the United States to the cleaners. They are responsible for this problem, and they must help pay to clean it up.”
In other words he would make Mexico pay for building the wall along the border and until they do the United States will, among other things:
- impound all remittance payments derived from illegal wages;
- increase fees on all temporary visas issued to Mexican CEOs and diplomats (and if necessary cancel them);
- increase fees on all border crossing cards – of which about 1 million are issued to Mexican nationals each year (a major source of visa overstays);
- increase fees on all NAFTA worker visas from Mexico (another major source of overstays); and,
- increase fees at ports of entry to the United States from Mexico.
[Tariffs and foreign aid cuts are also options]. We will not be taken advantage of anymore.
A Nation Of Laws
In simple terms that everyone can understand and support, Donald Trump says that “America will only be great as long as America remains a nation of laws that lives according to the Constitution. No one is above the law.”
Trump pledges to, “return to the American people the safety of their laws, which politicians have stolen from them.”
Trump says that as President he would:
- ensure the mandatory return of all criminal aliens;
- end the current “catch-and-release” policy – illegal aliens apprehended crossing the border would be detained until they are sent home;
- end Federal grants to any city that refuses to cooperate with federal law enforcement;
- enact “enhanced penalties” for overstaying a visa;
- end “birthright citizenship” which he says “remains the biggest magnet for illegal immigration”;
- use the simple measure of “e-verify” to protect jobs for unemployed Americans;
- control the admission of new low-earning workers in order to “help wages grow, get teenagers back to work, and aid minorities”; and,
- end the granting of legal immigrant visas to people bent on causing the American people harm.
In the longer-term other reforms would include a review of the H-1B visa program to stop companies flying in cheaper workers from overseas, and a requirement that companies operating in the United States hire American workers first where possible.
Trump also wants to end welfare abuse by ensuring applicants for entry to the United States can pay for their own housing, healthcare and other needs before coming to the U.S., and to increase standards for the admission of refugees and asylum-seekers to crack down on abuses.
More Detailed Information
This is just a quick summary of the Immigration Reform Plan, but as you can see it covers all the main aspects of concern to the American people.
It is by far the most comprehensive policy statement by any of the prospective Republican candidates. In fact had it not been for the intervention of Donald Trump the entire issue of illegal immigration might not even have been raised at all.
For those interested in further information you can find the Immigration Reform Plan in its entirety on the DonaldJTrump.com website, where you can also download a pdf copy.
To open that page in your browser just click here.